With the exception of special events, CPMU typically runs tours on weekends between the hours of 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM. If your application is accepted and you choose to volunteer with us, you will be required to make a 2-year commitment to running an average of two tours per month. To apply as a medical volunteer, you must possess a NYS EMT-Basic (or higher) certification.
Here is an outline of CPMU’s membership process:
- Submit an online application anytime
- Applications will be reviewed by our Membership Committee, who may contact you for an in person or virtual interview/conversation
- The Membership Committee extends an invitation for Probationary Membership to those applicants who demonstrate characteristics consistent with members likely to be successful within CPMU.
- Probationary Members complete an orientation training session, which includes EMT skills review, equipment use and safety, and administrative topics of CPMU.
- Probationary Members then begin running tours on the ambulance under the guidance of other CPMU members. The Probationary Membership phase takes 3-6 months to complete and aims to ensure that the member is competent, knowledgable, and able to act as a Primary EMT on a CPMU crew, eventually fostering other members. Upon completion of this phase, the Probationary Member requests promotion to Active status. Once promoted to Active status, the member gains voting rights, the ability to run for unit office and to become an ambulance driver, and receive benefits of EMT recertification tuition reimbursement.
Invited members will be required to submit the following documentation prior to their first ambulance tour:
- A background check authorization
- A medical questionaire and a copy of a Tuberculosis Test (PPD) from your health care provider performed within the last 6 months
- Copies of your government issued ID, New York State EMT certification card, and CPR card
Due to the high volume of applications and limited spots for membership, we regret that we cannot extend membership to all applicants. Please note that it may takes up to 90 days from the time of an application before an orientation is scheduled.
Ready to apply? Start with the application form here.
CPMU does from time to time accept non-medical volunteers who possess a specific skill or experience that may be beneficial to the unit. In particular, those with significant experience driving vehicles in an emergency or public safety setting should contact our VP of Operations regarding potential driving opportunities.